BJJ LIFE

Sunday, August 1, 2010

TUNA the CopyKat....my Martial Arts Inspirations..Used Originals

As I was sitting at my desk an all to familiar question burried itself into my brain, where it proceeded to spread until I was overwhelmed with answers. "Who are your inspirations for the Martial way?" Everytime someone ask this question I never have a clear answer because there are multiple reasons why I study Martial Arts.

The most influential Martial Artist/films in my life would probably start with The Karate Kid. Lets travel back to the early 90's, I was probably watching  WWF/WWE Matches or playing with Ninja Turtle actions figures around this time. I was introduced to the Film "The Karate Kid" so being a fan of Ninja Turtles and seeing Karate Kid I had to do all the cool flips, and chops and Kicks so I joined A local Karate School here in Indy. Soon after I achieved my Gold Belt for the first time (yes sadly enough I had two failed attempts at Karate both times ending with my gold belt) I would no longer continue my training. During this time i was introduced to many great films that contained martial arts. 3 Ninjas, Hard Target, Bloodsport, Kickboxer,(ok so I like Cheesy Van Dame Films give me a break). Mortal Kombat(first film only). It wasnt until my preteen years when I would discover the single greatest Influence in my Martial Arts Fetish.

Bruce Lee. I believe I was visiting my father in Quantico, VA on summer vacation. I was down at the PX looking through some Cds and Dvds and Dad approached me with one of the greatest Items I think I ever recieved. though I was unaware of how Awesome this Item was at the Time. Dad knew I loved Martial arts and Asian culture for that matter, and so he handed me a boxset of a guy named Bruce Lee. Who the Hell is this, I thought to myself as I we approached the check out counter. Dad always one to find something the two of us could share and enjoy as father and son, Bought the boxset and when we got home, Sat me down to watch "Return of The Dragon" as I sit bored twiddle twaddling my thumbs wondering why the hell i was watching some film about a chinese man in rome, Unaware of what was about to smack me upside my mind. I gave the chance to watch the film even though i was bored becuase, hey I was spending time with my dad. And thats when It happened. The Man the legend . Bruce Lee in all his glory was on screen beating the hell out of people whole groups of guys were falling left and right as Bruce did his famous Wahahahahaaooaohaohoaho (Little noise he makes) I was instantly Hooked, and finished out the entire boxset before Midnight, I have to say I probably watched every Bruce film about 100 times each.

Between my love for Japanese Anime(more specific DragonBall Z) and Bruce Lee, I don't think there was much more to my life at that point (women would come later in High School) Let see, So after I graduated and had a failed run at becoming the Greatest Emcee to ever breathe on a Mic (Believe I still Got skills) I was introduced To Mixed Martial Arts, It was Everything I loved about WWE except that it was freaking real, No long ass chit chats between arch enemies about how they were going to beat each other with chairs and tables for a belt. this was pure action very little talk time for the fighters, just straight up ass whoopings, I loved it. I was hooked Dana white and Zuffa were getting my money as i would spend the cash to buy Dvds, Although I remember my first UFC DVD I ever bout was ufc Liddell vs Ortiz 2. I saw the prefight video of liddell saying he was going to KO Tito and Tito talking his talk. I was hooked I was a Ortiz fan, I can not tell you why just something about Tito, Maybe its because hes Half Mexican american like myself, or maybe it was the constant talk about Tito and his work ethic, how he punished himself to punish the enemy .his heart. I dont know what ever it was about Ortiz i was drawn to it.

Now a few years Later I am Training Jiu Jitsu (my favorite Martial art I have ever Studied) I am also Training Muay thai, as well as a student of the Bruce Lee Philosophy "Jeet Kune DO". Everything happens for a reason and I guess if these movies and people hadnt been brought into my life i would probably be picking my nose sitting at a computer doing some work (oh shit I am sitting at a computer) anyways if you just read that whole thing and feel like you are more cornfused now then before you read it.You should try having a conversation with me in person, Until Next Time...... Dueces Magooses.

No comments:

Post a Comment